View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Read skill 

Does anyone have any techniques other than spamming battle scrolls to get the read up? And how much read should one have for shrines and jeloc?

Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:08 am

Read required for Shrines:

Normal +1 Shrines & Great Hall: 21 (Some say 22 for GH but I was able to shrine someone with 21 read and GH worked for them last week)
Star Shrine: 23
Jeloc +2's & 6th: 25 Read

Strategies for Leveling Read:
This has been a debated topic since the beginning of Xen. I remember at one point people would swear you had to get your swim up a few points if your read had stalled. What has worked for me is just burn 5 battle scrolls while you're hunting, let them wear off, rinse and repeat until you can do the same with vbs, then once your read is high enough pick up any scroll and just use it, arc flamma - glacier visc - etc, and lastly one you get high enough to use port scrolls use those as your portals everywhere you go until your read jumps high enough, all while repeating the earlier methods.

In short though, no 2 Xenimus Characters of mine (and there are many) have every had the same journey to 25 read. Its always different and unpredictable.

But hopefully you have better luck than Enigma, he's been stuck at 24 read since level 20 and he's 41 now lol.

Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:31 pm
Profile WWW

How do I mark the forum as read so that when I next visit I can see threads with new posts?

Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:04 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW

I have found that if you are a fighter class (fighter, darkwar, ranger, paladin), you should read two or four battle scrolls every time when you hunt. That was the advice I was given. When the ability runs out, use another four. Keep doing this until you get your read to 13. Use VB scrolls until you can get 18 read. Once you get 18 read, use the port scrolls and you will get to 25 in no time. As for druids, clerics, wizards, witches, and warlocks, I do not know yet. Maybe, you can use port scrolls until you get your read to 25. Once you get 25 read, you can use the create port spell. Port scrolls really do increase your read fast, but it costs a lot of money to buy port scrolls. Follow what other people say about those classes. With the fighter classes, the way I mentioned worked every time. I have never had a fighter or barbarian when barbarians were in the game. I only have a ranger, darkwar, and paladin.

Wed May 19, 2021 3:57 pm

There's no reasoning for this, but someone tried to tell me to read the signs around town. Big doubt on that, but it can't hurt to try.

As for the supplies you'll need, you can hunt stone elementals and get a ton of portal scrolls, vis baritus scrolls, and some other goodies like white potions. Most classes can survive and kill elementals by the time they are level 15 and are able to equip elemental leather. Some classes can hunt them a bit sooner, if they are careful. Elementals also tend to grant you Found Items, which include NDNT elemental leathers. You can gather mystic ores and shon tree leaves from around the game and prop your armor at the mystic forge lady in T2 (south along the road from the starting town, T1).

The elemental task never goes away, even if you are level 70, and you can hold as many kills as you want before turning in.

Thu May 20, 2021 6:42 am

Swim and Read are best leveled up if done in the first 1-15 levels or so, after that time it becomes very difficult to get points.

For read, I imagine there is some kind of formula that includes percentage of total level XP gained while under the effect of a scroll which is why keeping the battle scroll effect up while leveling seems to be the key for raising that skill.

As for swim, ever since I was a kid I had made it my first objective on every character to max swim at lv1. For the longest time you could do so without taking damage, however I think this was recently changed so you take drowning damage even when you HP in under 10. Food can easily counteract the damage though.

Thu May 20, 2021 1:07 pm

I always found that mele and taking dmg should a scroll is active helps a lot

Sat May 22, 2021 6:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]