View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Cryptocurrnecy & Stocks. 

(I know this is the Xenimus part of the forums, I also posted this under "Guilds" I just want it to get enough attention so I can see a few responses due to the extreme bias in articles on the internet, i can't seem to really figure out what's ridiculously stupid and what's not... thanks)

I am 18 years old. I was lucky enough to find myself in a great career at a young age so I have an OK sized chunk of money to play with investing. Well I guess "play with" doesn't seem as serious as i actually am. I'm open to investing up to $20,000 in stock. I obviously want to start small right now around $250-2,500 and get a feel for how this works. Currently using Ameritrade.

What's worth investing in? Low, medium, and high risk. I would like to have stock in each of the categories... Bitcoin just recently spiked a CRAZY amount this week. Starting to plummet... should I take advantage of it while it's plummeting or has it already reached its peak and is now dying out... Cryptocurrnecy seems like the current trend. What else is out there?

Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:32 am

Bitcoin, litecoin, ethereum, iota, salt, ripple, substratum.

Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:00 pm

Moving this to guild. I know you wanted the attention for it but it’s not right for here

phpBB [video]

Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:14 pm

Don't just listen to the internet about random "whats hot" and don't look at spikes period. If you're really looking to invest for the long term, and not short term or the fun of it.. go see a financial planner. These people exist and work purely to help you understand this complex topic. Finding the right one can be difficult, but it's absolutely worth it.

I know a guy that lost most of his savings in trying to play the stocks, people start seeing it more as a game rather than actual long term investing.

Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:21 pm
Forum Moderator

I agree, investing is a long term strategy. You cannot outguess the market. One study found that the most successful investors were those who had invested - and then forgot about it.

Easiest methods to invest are to use index funds, such as one that matches the S&P 500. Eventually you may want to diversify, add large cap growth, small cap growth, foreign funds, etc. One item that I originally forgot to mention - index funds have the lowest ongoing expenses since they do not need to do much other than mirror the stocks within the index. Saving 2-3 percent can add up over the years.

If you really want to play the market (or hedge your bets), explore options. Done correctly, they are among the safest ways to potentially have large wins. - This really isn't investing however, you are playing the market.

Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:57 am
investing is abit like

betting on horses

the more knowledge you have the better it will go

however theres always that chance that you may be screwed
even if your betting on a winning horse

short answer dont gamble with what you cannot afford to lose

Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:17 pm

Well that's more like gambling ;-) Real long-term investing is much more like saving. I had a meeting with a higher up at a bank for some technology we were introducing to them and at some point we were talking about how young people don't learn to properly save up money, you need to put money away and invest it like Nesb says S&P 500 and the like.

But a lot of people see investing as gambling, or see it as something to do when you have a lot of money, not just as a savings account.

Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]