View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:12 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Server transfer and what to do with the servers 
Site Admin

First of all I always see this talk about how Xenimus used to be fun to level during the lower levels before you hit 70. I agree this was true, but not because the game has changed in some drastic way but because there were more people playing so there were multiple people at all levels. Player interaction is what made that fun. Now most of the fun seems to be at level 70, and of course that is true because that is where most players are right now.

Through the history of the servers the anti-pk server was always the most popular, generally preferred by about 2/3 of the population. People who have been here a long time should remember the server counts. X2, the anti-pk server, was always more populated. At least this is how I remember it.

Connecting the servers through the DS still keeps things divided. I can tell what server an item comes from and not allow them to be transferred but what is the point then? Are you connecting the 2 servers just for the PVP on the DS? In that case there is no point in having those players show up from 2 different servers, might as well be one.

Before the new PVP server started we were having full PVP weekends that people really seemed to like. A permanent system could be put into place that would be controlled by the server to automatically have a full PVP weekend every other week. With a message on the login screen showing a countdown to when it starts and letting players know when it is in progress and how much time is left. With in game messages also. This is the direction I am leaning. I want to keep the population together and give everyone something.

Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:35 pm

But I don't think personally it was the fact the game was full pvp that brought everyone back. I believe it was the fact that you were involved with the game and were in constant contact with players that made everyone came back. It felt good to see that you were listening to players and acting on our wishes!

If you were to put out new content, new quests, things for us to do, I promise you, you will see a spike in players across every single version of the game.

Let’s make it fun!

Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:43 pm
Site Admin

I did that with Xenimus 2.0. A full restructure of the entire game with all new stuff.

Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:49 pm
Not a bad solution but 1 weekend every 2 weeks is 2 days out of 14 so 1/7 of the time. If it is a 2/3 preferring anti-pk (and im not sure that is now true) why not just program server to be full pvp one day of every 3? If pvp days prove to be more popular then up the ratio. 1/7 probably isnt enough time for people to feel like they are regularly active.

Another solution would be to just make it anti-pk level 1-69 and full pvp for everyone at level 70?

I agree with you in that player interaction 100% makes it more fun. However, the game has changed a lot at low levels meaning even with the old populations interaction doesent work because of equip levels and how much difference 2-3 levels makes to pvp.

Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:50 pm

You are correct. Anti pk servers were always the most populated. On peak hours they would be almost even. Here is a screenshot where x1 Prime and three were full pvp and lower count and anti pks combined had more than the full pvp ones combined. https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-xkEZ ... 600/X5.bmp

I agree with Rippy when he said its the fact that you were very very active with the game pushing constant updates.

Lets look at the things that worked and kept bringing in returning players (even if they didnt stay)

1. Bonus exp events
2. Daggers/Offhands update
3. Gloves and Boots update (very popular)
4. DD update (added raids)
5. King Quest update (VERY VERY popular)

These 5 things made players come back to play. Why? It was NEW content. As xen101 , myself and many others keep saying, people like new content.

Even if people come back for the new update/content for 1 or 2 months then get bored and stop logging in, at least they came. MANY MANY MANY games are like this. People beat the content, get bored, play other games. The second they release new content/DLC etc, old players come back again and it repeats.

That is the point of DLC/Expansions, etc.

For example the Boots/Capes update was a HUGE popular update and could be labeled a true expansion. Same with daggers/offhands update.

Players across ALL genres and ALL games want NEW content, new quests, new gear, new things to find.

Last edited by Loki on Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:50 pm

ejthayer wrote:
I did that with Xenimus 2.0. A full restructure of the entire game with all new stuff.

But the problem is that players feel 2.0 is not the same game as 1.0 in terms of how smooth it feels to play. There are a lot of bugs in 2.0 that turn players off. If 2.0 felt the same way 1.0 felt. I personally would play it, but there are far too many things that make the game feel clunky.

Let’s make it fun!

Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:52 pm
Rippy wrote:
But I don't think personally it was the fact the game was full pvp that brought everyone back. I believe it was the fact that you were involved with the game and were in constant contact with players that made everyone came back. It felt good to see that you were listening to players and acting on our wishes!

If you were to put out new content, new quests, things for us to do, I promise you, you will see a spike in players across every single version of the game.

people cam back and initially enjoyed it because it felt like old xenimus: It had the feel of being on edge about being pked, new gear for a short time created a kind of economy, chest pulls were working, pking was fun.

Problem was being pked became less fun as you cant defend yourself or even run when the level gap was only 2 or more. Lots of gear suddenly flowed in price of everything in cons became 10 gold so economy went. Then over time the level gaps widened increasing the power gap problem.

PVP has been balanced around level 70 and trading with equip levels of 65 starts at 65...

Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:53 pm

Rippy wrote:
ejthayer wrote:

But the problem is that players feel 2.0 is not the same game as 1.0 in terms of how smooth it feels to play. There are a lot of bugs in 2.0 that turn players off. If 2.0 felt the same way 1.0 felt. I personally would play it, but there are far too many things that make the game feel clunky.

We had a discussion on this. I had explained to EJ I can design content for the game as he works on bug fixes. 2.0 COULD be better than 1.0. Its just minor things holding it back.

Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:54 pm

Loki wrote:
You are correct. Anti pk servers were always the most populated. On peak hours they would be almost even. Here is a screenshot where x1 Prime and three were full pvp and lower count and anti pks combined had more than the full pvp ones combined. https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-xkEZ ... 600/X5.bmp

I agree with Rippy when he said its the fact that you were very very active with the game pushing constant updates. I posted this in other post and repeat (but narrows down)

Loki wrote:
Lets look at the things that worked and kept bringing in returning players (even if they didnt stay)

1. Bonus exp events
2. Daggers/Offhands update
3. Gloves and Boots update (very popular)
4. DD update (added raids)
5. King Quest update (VERY VERY popular)

These 5 things made players come back to play. Why? It was NEW content. As xen101 , myself and many others keep saying, people like new content.

Even if people come back for the new update/content for 1 or 2 months then get bored and stop logging in, at least they came. MANY MANY MANY games are like this. People beat the content, get bored, play other games. The second they release new content/DLC etc, old players come back again and it repeats.

That is the point of DLC/Expansions, etc.

For example the Boots/Capes update was a HUGE popular update and could be labeled a true expansion. Same with daggers/offhands update.

Players across ALL genres and ALL games want NEW content, new quests, new gear, new things to find.

Exactly. Because just simply having a lot of players on is going to bring the pvp out no matter what. Just the fact that players do not like one another will be enough of a stimulant for pvp. The people who wanted pvp server were just players who wanted to abuse the fact that they have a lot more time on their hands than other players and could get away with doing whatever they wanted because they were simply more geared than others. The pvp server was not the answer at all.

The answer is you ej, if you go and put the time in and add extra things like (Bonus exp) (Found items) (Add days where Exp is boosted throughout the day ) Things of that nature, you will find 40-60 people on DAILY.

Let’s make it fun!

Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:55 pm

Heimdallr wrote:

PVP has been balanced around level 70 and trading with equip levels of 65 starts at 65...

False statement.

And pvp doesnt keep people active as you can see on pvp server numbers. It has to be a mix of pve/pvp/ new content.

Last edited by Loki on Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:55 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 90 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next