View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:09 pm



Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Server Idea. 
Author Message

Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:18 pm
Posts: 80
Why not just open up another server and allow players to have the choice whether they want to spend time on PVP server or PVE server. Kind of like X1 and X2..... Copy DD & everything. Now players have twice as much dungeon raiding possible, and they can PVP if they want. Win, win for everyone & shouldn't be that hard to do correct?

Just copying another server and making it compatible with the current server seems like the most beneficial option to me...

- Less crowded areas for noobs to level up at since their will be a copy of it on PVP & PVE server. (If PVE server is full, port to PVP server at your own risk)

- More content for players, seeing as raiding and PVP'ing are the 2 main things that keep players on during the day. Now you have literally TWICE as much spawn in DD and you could even PK/PVP their if you'd like. (I could see how this could be a problem with end-game characters hoarding the PVP "DD" to themselves. Possibly mess around with the items that are allowed to drop from PVE DD compared to PVP server DD.

- No more complaining about PVP & or PVE. Now you are once again, granted the option of complete freedom in Xenimus. If you want to PVP, go to PVP server. Once you are done, head on back to PVE....

Much more simple than it seems? What am I missing?


Tue May 29, 2018 9:28 am
Profile

Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:00 am
Posts: 986
good idea

1 pk server
1 anti pk server

shared DS


Tue May 29, 2018 10:22 am
Profile

Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:18 pm
Posts: 80
In theory all 3 of those servers you are able to transport back and fourth. Also would would eliminate the chance of a population dropoff with opening of a new server. No splitting players up.


Tue May 29, 2018 10:32 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:48 pm
Posts: 816
I don't have the time to post a lengthy proper reply this discussion deserves but I'll try and it's way too simple. It boils down to game design and encouraging certain cultures, you can't throw everything together especially in current states and say well everybody has what they want now, great right?

A dangerous environment fosters a different community, one where good players are respected and evil players are despised. This wouldn't work in your setup, which is very similar to the current setup actually (both PVP and PVE areas available), no legends are created, no stories developed. This is pretty much what killed Ultima Online with Trammel. There is a major difference in gameplay, community and culture created through consensual PVP and non-consensual PVP.

There's a reason successful sandbox games had non-consensual PVP, and this was a cornerstone feature of any old school MMO. This is coming back a little, as the sensitive crowd has enough options now to be satisfied. People are getting back to understanding non-consensual PVP builds stories, which really is what any roleplaying game should encourage.

_________________
https://www.reddit.com/r/xenimus/


Tue May 29, 2018 10:49 am
Profile

Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:18 pm
Posts: 80
Shabam wrote:
I don't have the time to post a lengthy proper reply this discussion deserves but I'll try and it's way too simple. It boils down to game design and encouraging certain cultures, you can't throw everything together especially in current states and say well everybody has what they want now, great right?

A dangerous environment fosters a different community, one where good players are respected and evil players are despised. This wouldn't work in your setup, which is very similar to the current setup actually (both PVP and PVE areas available), no legends are created, no stories developed. This is pretty much what killed Ultima Online with Trammel. There is a major difference in gameplay, community and culture created through consensual PVP and non-consensual PVP.

There's a reason successful sandbox games had non-consensual PVP, and this was a cornerstone feature of any old school MMO. This is coming back a little, as the sensitive crowd has enough options now to be satisfied. People are getting back to understanding non-consensual PVP builds stories, which really is what any roleplaying game should encourage.


I understand what you're saying. Please keep in mind though that Xenimus is already in an extremely fragile state with a population sitting right around 30-40, almost everything that happens to this game (IN THIS CURRENT STATE) almost has to be consensual correct? We can't force-feed PVP down noobs throat and expect them to adapt to it. Lol I know a few players that don't even care to PVP or know how because they started post 2013.....

Opening up another PVP server and connecting it to X2 & DS assists with many other problems aside from PVP and PK.... by reading your post I am taking it that you agree with a "non-consensual pvp server" aside from the Main Server? No. It won't work, we are beating a dead horse with that argument honestly. The only reason I could see EJ considering that as an idea is solely for the purpose to entertain the group (which I myself would fall into) of people who miss the danger aspect of Xenimus prior to "Post-GvE"..

Yes, I believe in the long run the main purpose should be to slowly work in non-consensual PVP and SLOWLY introduce new aspects of danger into the game, but for now I think that opening up another PVP server & connecting it with X2 and DS is the best short-term option. Long-term also since it would create the foundation of a FULL PVP server. Monitoring activity and frequency of players visiting the server and introducing updates to that server alone to slowly bring in more danger and see how the playerbase reacts would be the best option for EJ... now this is all just my opinion...


Tue May 29, 2018 11:30 am
Profile

Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:00 am
Posts: 986
Nike wrote:
In theory all 3 of those servers you are able to transport back and fourth. Also would would eliminate the chance of a population dropoff with opening of a new server. No splitting players up.


well in my idea


in short
pvp players can be on pvp server and DS
pve players can be on anti pk server and ds


but theres no going from pvp server to anti pk server


Tue May 29, 2018 3:36 pm
Profile
I think server needs to be 100% separate. PVP server needs different rules regarding bags, redos, max ams etc, drop rates. It would be unfair for new server to try and compete with old pve server in DS

if people want pve stay on old server. Those of us who want pvp can go on the new server.


Tue May 29, 2018 3:47 pm

Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:40 pm
Posts: 3722
Location: U.S.A.
Goldmine wrote:
I think server needs to be 100% separate. PVP server needs different rules regarding bags, redos, max ams etc, drop rates. It would be unfair for new server to try and compete with old pve server in DS

if people want pve stay on old server. Those of us who want pvp can go on the new server.

As long as it's a fresh new lvl 1 with zero gear transfer.

_________________
"I'm not playing til 60-70cap ej!"


Tue May 29, 2018 4:14 pm
Profile
Forum Moderator

Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:06 pm
Posts: 629
Shabam wrote:
I don't have the time to post a lengthy proper reply this discussion deserves but I'll try and it's way too simple. It boils down to game design and encouraging certain cultures, you can't throw everything together especially in current states and say well everybody has what they want now, great right?

A dangerous environment fosters a different community, one where good players are respected and evil players are despised. This wouldn't work in your setup, which is very similar to the current setup actually (both PVP and PVE areas available), no legends are created, no stories developed. This is pretty much what killed Ultima Online with Trammel. There is a major difference in gameplay, community and culture created through consensual PVP and non-consensual PVP.

There's a reason successful sandbox games had non-consensual PVP, and this was a cornerstone feature of any old school MMO. This is coming back a little, as the sensitive crowd has enough options now to be satisfied. People are getting back to understanding non-consensual PVP builds stories, which really is what any roleplaying game should encourage.


That is the type of environment that we used to have, a balance of both pvp and non-pvp players and the non-pvp types would gather together to deal with something they felt pk'd too much (pk'd - which is different than pvp in my opinion). Most people who want a hardcore pvp / pk server state that the "pvp'ers" have left due to not enough "pvp". While I am certain that is true to a degree, I personally feel that the opposite has been a larger issue: most people who played anti-pk have left, leaving only those who want full pvp / pk, or those who enjoy pvp enough to put up with it. I do not see anti-pk type people flocking to a full, hardcore pvp server.

During the previous attempt at having a full pvp server, I had a lot (I'll repeat: a LOT) of complaints regarding being pk'd at quests givers, at storage, etc - from people that only days before were advocating a full pvp server. Not trying to take away anything from the new server, indeed I hope that it succeeds, thrives and makes people happy.


Wed May 30, 2018 12:39 am
Profile

Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:32 am
Posts: 177
As much as i agree with nesb that only the pvpers remain, it also has allot to do with the fact everyone from that time has grown and started families. And just lack the time. We need NEW players.


Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:45 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software.