View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:03 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 ToA- everyone or no one 

Ok so I can’t speak on behalf of everyone else but why is it that a few people get to
Level to 73 and become gods and the rest of us have to hope to find a tome? Why did you not do this for the level 70 cap? Dropping a tome that gives access to a new dungeon would be a cool addition, where drops are better for example. The lucky ones
Who find that have a benefit over everyone else. As far as being 73 and everyone else level 70 it’s just too much of a gap imo. Everyone should have the opportunity, you can’t just turn 10 people into gods and leave the rest hanging. Ing this is people having better gear, which is fine. But being 3 levels higher? Pff

Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:25 pm

one of the many reasons why people stopped playing this game lol, about a year and half ago he said he wanted to make a quest where people can obtain these TOA and not just from farming them from events/drops.

he has probably forgot about this completely like the many other things that should of been fixed/looked into.

Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:37 pm

I'm not saying that ToA isn't a strong item, but there are loads of lvl 73s. In fact some of the people you think are level 70 are actually level 73, and you can't tell the difference. It isn't as strong as you're making it out to be. There aren't 10 people that are gods in the game, and there are WAY more than 10 level 73s. I can name close to 20 off the top of my head, and there are only about 20 people online at any given time. It is fair for a rare item that is accessible to every single person to have a reward for those willing to farm for one. Besides the people you think of as gods were that way well before ToA even existed, and the power difference between the best and worst players will always exists even if there is no items, no tomes, no runes, or any additional power based on nothing but skill.

I think ToA is relatively well designed. It's a rare item that is accessible to every single person in the game. It's not like a oblivion item, or some vexar items where you have to be able to hunt extremely hard areas to find them. You can get the ToA from the weekly dungeon that can be done in king quest gear, or from easy veil which is doable at lvl 60.
Not only is it rare, but it is proportionately strong to it's rarity. It isn't super common, but it's common enough that there are a lot of 73s, and it gives a fair power increase, but certainly not instantly unbeatable. There are lots of 70s that beat 73s regularly.

The other aspect of ToA is that it is consumable so using this rare item takes it out of circulation which keeps the market on them from dropping through the floor. You can't get one ToA and transfer it around to every character you own for the benefit which creates a market that doesn't suck like the rest of the game, and it forces you to make a choice about which character you want to play. It creates a sense of investment into a character instead of just transferring gear around and playing whatever is the strongest in the moment. Which historically causes a lot of problems. Example when mages were so busted that I was literally the only melee in the entire game. The entire balance of the game was thrown off and there was no data for E.J. to balance around so it remained in a crap state for YEARS.

Least that's my opinion on it. If everyone was able to get 73 with no effort other than leveling nothing would change, but you would lose the ability to gain a power advantage in one of the VERY VERY few ways that are accessible to the entire player base. You would essentially be shooting yourself in the foot. I do understand those that don't want to play the game, and also don't want to be at a disadvantage, but that's why they call this a game. There is a winner and there is a loser. Your objective is to try and win, not be gifted everything for nothing. Participation trophies have caused more headaches in xenimus than allowing natural competition to occur ever has.

Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:51 pm

Everyone I’ve asked says the diff is huge. I’m
not wining about not havin one, just so that is said. I just don’t see the point if eventually everyone can grind
And for some casual players Maybe it will take a year, only to
Eventually put us where we were at the level 70 cap. The toa is borrowed time, once everyone has
It there’s no point in it existing anymore. It will be 30p in cons. I hope to find one before that though yea. I just don’t see the long term benefit of the TOA.

Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:23 pm

Dont let the hogwash of xenforum3 affect your mind

ToA is Huge upgrade and it is far to rare for the power it gives

essentially same mistake ej made with the super vos (the only +2sci ingame)

TOA is by far the biggest item upgrade a character can get

if i was gonna pvp someone and could choose 1 item with 100% guarantee it would be TOA everytime hands down
that is how much stronger it makes you

just compare going to fierce on a 70 wizard compared to 73 with exact same gear

its a breeze on the 73 no point do you get anywhere near dying on a 70 however its diffrent

Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:47 pm

yup its sad.

Right now someone is offering $2000 USD for a TOA...

I think TOA should ALL be ndnt. you get it on your char, and use it, or not.

Just let everyone get 73 already. A player who nolifes 16-20 hours a day can have like 5-10 level 73s already where as a casual player who plays 1 hour a day can not even get 1.

Then again, when ppl pay thousands for them, how would a casual ever buy one.

EJ fix this please.

P.S TOA is the BIGGEST bonus a character can get. 70-73 is epic.

Last edited by Loki on Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:37 pm

It would be great if all tomes and runes were ndnt or account bound, but then again how would EJ make that extra 2k on the side? :lol:

— EJ Thayer

Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:04 am

From the outside, being able to level is a core function of the game. Having leveling gated by an item seems very dumb. Of course the people who paid boat loads for the ability to level to 73 are going to say its fine... I never understood why you would block players from leveling. A better implementation of Tome of Advancements would be a very challenging quest that anybody can access at level 70. Not to have it be an extremely small chance to get lucky and be able to achieve max level.

Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:58 pm

Lateralus wrote:
Everyone I’ve asked says the diff is huge.

For a single item it is a large power up, but it is not a single I win item. There is a large distinction between those two things. Something has to be the most powerful item in the game. Do you want it to be a super vov where your odds are obtaining one are almost non-existent or do you want it to be the toa that you have the autonomy, the ability, and the control over farming for at level 60. It is not a long term solution, but it's held up longer than literal vexar gear that is in cons for 50plat with only a hand full of people having the ability to farm for.

Lateralus wrote:
I just don’t see the long term benefit of the TOA.

There is no long term benefit to anything in xenimus. The economy is jacked up. If you played a year ago you would say vexar gear is impossible to get. Only the people that do bosses have any chance of obtaining it. It isn't fair. Now again level 60s have the ability to farm bone staves and get vexar gear within weeks from cons. Every road leads to the same place in the long term. This to will follow that same path. Everyone will eventually get ToA and it will fall out of conversation just like vexar gear did. Just like I said for years, nothing will change. As people got their vexar gear they still don't play the game any differently. There is no more pvp, no more content, no more people trying to do things they couldn't do before. The content has to shape the gameplay

Loki wrote:
A player who nolifes 16-20 hours a day can have like 5-10 level 73s already where as a casual player who plays 1 hour a month can not even get 1.

Are you suggesting that we should screw over people that actively play the game to improve the experience for the people that play 1 hour a month, or 2minutes a day? Are the people playing 2minutes a day being held back by the game itself, and impacting the overall good for the game?

notthisshitagain wrote:
Dont let the hogwash of xenforum3 affect your mind

ToA is Huge upgrade and it is far to rare for the power it gives

essentially same mistake ej made with the super vos (the only +2sci ingame)

You know I'm more than willing to have the conversation. Feel free to tell me where you disagree with me? Again it's a simple concept. You bring up Svos. Even if it were a +1 sci like everything else it would still be an insane item. The level bonus abilitiy on svos has always been nice, but it's not why the item is insane. The reason that item is insane is because of the cast speed and amp on it.
Something you can relate it to. A cron warrior ring is seen as one of the required melee items in the game similar to sci. It's 4 attack speed and 4amp. If there were a way to replace a cron warrior ring with something that increased its speed by 5speed and 5amp that would be the equivalent of a melee svos.

The argument is simple, and it has nothing to do with the power level of ToA. Do you want Svos or Svov, or Super vex armor, or oblivion sword or something that is ridiculously difficult to obtain and only a hand full of people have the ability to obtain to be the power gap generator, or is it better that it is something that anyone in the entire game, not has a chance at, but actually can obtain.
Is it better that a single use item creates progression for one character that provides incentive for people to play other classes instead of flavor of the month over powered classes that keeps E.J. from having stats to balance around?
Is it better that after 10 TOA are found you can transfer it around so that there is no economy for that item like every other item.

Clearly, for someone that plays the game you have to reward them for playing it. You have to have some way to progress that player or there is nobody playing the game because there is no game without progression. The only question is where do you want the largest increases to come from? Disagree with this post based on the username, and not the content if you must I guess, but at least try to respond to the post. Not whatever it is you're making up in your head as you see red reading my post.

Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:23 pm

Loki wrote:
A player who nolifes 16-20 hours a day can have like 5-10 level 73s already where as a casual player who plays 1 hour a month can not even get 1.

lol just think about that statement outside of the context of this discussion. Why should someone who plays 1 hour a month be in the same tier as someone who "nolifes 16-20 hours a day"? Apply that rule to any other game and the nonsense of it really shines through.
the funny part about it is that the 1 hour a month player can still get lucky and pull one out of the weekly dungeon.

Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:26 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next