View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Recent changes 

This "no lifer" idea is absurd. What you actually mean is active players that play xenimus as their primary game. The idea that we shouldn't reward players for playing the game is mind-blowing to me. If you don't reward people for playing then nobody will play. Let's nix this for the conversation because it's absurd.

I also understand why some of you disagree with some of the points. I'm not infallible, and I could be slightly off on some things. It's hard for me to put subjective things into words for everyone to understand fully. A lot of people when gauging the strength of gear are assuming that they are of equal skill to the people they are fighting. Which just isn't the case most of the time. Ego is why PvP discussions are so difficult to have. I can tell you though as, probably the most geared player in the game, stat wise I'm not much different than the average player. Which feels pretty bad.

What everyone can agree on is that bosses are to difficult, monsters are to strong, and gear isn't significantly increasing the player strength enough to combat these things. Debate will always be had on how much gear should play into character strength, but fact is without gear playing a significant role there is no such thing a progress in the game. Without progress there is no game, it's beat. If you want people to play you need to create avenues for them to progress. If gear isn't the way we want people to progress then we need to create other ways. Runes and tomes were a nice way to provide paths for people to progress, but that alone is not enough.

Before the wipe when there were certain players duping impossible to obtain items with perfect props it really did feel like there was no way to catch up. They really were outgearing people to a point that almost no matter how much better at PvP you were, and how hard you grinded that it seemed like you could barely compete or not at all. We don't have that problem anymore. I have seen a lot of people recently obtain items that they thought were going to make them unstoppable. They were incredibly excited to find or pull the item, and absolutely demotivated once they realized how little it helped. If there is no excitement in obtaining upgrades, there is nearly no way to progress your character, all the activities in game to do aren't fun / to tedious, and pvp is only ruled by skill then the same 3-4 most skilled players will rule pvp forever, and there will be no avenue for you to ever combat that skill discrepancy through other skills in the game. Make no mistake the ability to grind out gear is a skill, the ability to put groups together to do raids is a skill, the ability to make consistently good trades to upgrade your gear is a skill, and the ability to level constantly for repulls is a skill. PvP mechanics aren't the only skill in the game. I think every skill you have in game should be rewarded.

In the past, "the glory days", of xenimus it was very rarely the most skilled pvper that ruled the game. It was often the grind lords that were the strongest. The people that had the ability to level higher than anyone else, the people that grinded so often that they found more gear, the people that spent all their time trading around for profit, and these people would be the strongest in the game. Back in those days, obtaining a rare item that was sought after could change the entire game for you. I don't think any of these things are possible anymore. You have to be a very skilled player to participate in almost any content that is worth while now, and for the average joe that isn't that good. They just don't get to participate in pvp, bosses, or any worthwhile hunting areas that could be profitable. So they quit.

An unpopular opinion lately, but it used to be one of the appeals of xenimus. Anybody could obtain the right items if they were lucky and dedicated and be the strongest in the game. I love PvP, and I love highly skilled razor edge pvps. But there isn't enough of it to ruin the entire rest of the game for it's sake. I would rather it go back to a more normal state, and there be a xencon day occasionally where everyone could be on the same level for PvP events, and reward the best pvpers at the end of it.

Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:24 pm

5 paragraphs doesn't mean its quality or factual nor do people want to type 500 words to nolifers who only wants changes for THEMSELVES. A pig in a suit is still a pig.

Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:14 pm

"Didn't read also you're wrong btw" - Master level message board participator

Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:37 pm

Loki wrote:
5 paragraphs doesn't mean its quality or factual nor do people want to type 500 words to nolifers who only wants changes for THEMSELVES. A pig in a suit is still a pig.

6500 posts and you are worried about typing 500 words, smh.

Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:32 pm

+1 to OP, well thought out and valid points.

Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:34 pm

Loki wrote:

Coming from a guy who has over 6k posts in a dead game. Stop calling other people no lifers while simultaneously telling others to "stay on topic". You're just as equal of a repeat offender and it's bullshit that you get to do it.

Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:18 pm

agree with OP'er

Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:45 pm

the sad part is the game is far worse than it was pre restructure when gear and classes were balanced...

I came back after the wipe but quickly lost interest and think that was my final return to the game. It was magical when were 12-16 years old, full of danger, competition and a thriving economy. Over the years the game was further and further watered down for the Warhammer generation removing all risk. All the unique elements of the game were removed (unlimited level cap, gear dropping when you died, balanced pvp, trade, pking), the excitement of discovery disappeared and in turn the population dropped with a spiral effect on pvp and trade. Changes have been finally made to try and improve on many of these issues but a lot of it came too late (these issues had been going on for years with the restructure hammering in the nail on the head. It took some 6-7 years post restructure to finally try and correct jsut a few of its huge errors?). The game had already morphed into a 99% grind game with 1% pvp for those who share accounts or play 18 hours a day. The quality of the player base changed dramatically to where the only remaining player base basically fit into 3 categories: full pve carebear, trolls and no lifers. The more competitive trader/pvp player was pushed away a long time ago (we occasionally pop back to realise its not the game we want, there is no chance to compete with the no lifer, you cant take anything from the carebear and even worse there is zero penalty for the trolls and their 6k posts) .

Good luck but for anyone who wants those glory days back its sadly not happening. Out of curiosity I check these boards once a month but Ill be dissapointed in myself if i ever download the game again!

Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:42 pm

The Preacher wrote:
the sad part is the game is far worse than it was pre restructure when gear and classes were balanced...

I came back after the wipe but quickly lost interest and think that was my final return to the game. It was magical when were 12-16 years old, full of danger, competition and a thriving economy. Over the years the game was further and further watered down for the Warhammer generation removing all risk. All the unique elements of the game were removed (unlimited level cap, gear dropping when you died, balanced pvp, trade, pking), the excitement of discovery disappeared and in turn the population dropped with a spiral effect on pvp and trade. Changes have been finally made to try and improve on many of these issues but a lot of it came too late (these issues had been going on for years with the restructure hammering in the nail on the head. It took some 6-7 years post restructure to finally try and correct jsut a few of its huge errors?). The game had already morphed into a 99% grind game with 1% pvp for those who share accounts or play 18 hours a day. The quality of the player base changed dramatically to where the only remaining player base basically fit into 3 categories: full pve carebear, trolls and no lifers. The more competitive trader/pvp player was pushed away a long time ago (we occasionally pop back to realise its not the game we want, there is no chance to compete with the no lifer, you cant take anything from the carebear and even worse there is zero penalty for the trolls and their 6k posts) .

Good luck but for anyone who wants those glory days back its sadly not happening. Out of curiosity I check these boards once a month but Ill be dissapointed in myself if i ever download the game again!

You do make a good point. I've started playing back like v1.03. I think it was a little before then. What made me addicted to the game was it's uniqueness. The thrill, the danger of being pked, loosing all my gear. The elements of gear having certain affects on how you use them. Sword of Evil made you evil, Sanctus reflected damage, etc.

I haven't played the game since this past item wipe (don't really know what caused it actually) Just read the boards and seen item wipe and never logged back on. I check the boards every so often. Just to see mostly the same topics over and over again.

Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:58 am

I'm on board with all of you.
Just gave away my stuff and finally ripped the band-aid off that has been there since I was a young teen.

Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next