View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 clunky feeling 

ejthayer wrote:
I would like to know more about what this clunky feeling is from in 2.0. I get 60fps most of the time. Is it the areas loading as you do things?

I posted you a big bug list with over 15 bugs. did you work them out??? a lot of them are still ingame =/

I think I know what this clunky feeling is. ill post a pic or few

giveme some time

(warhammer age of reckoning)

Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:28 am

pic alot

Attachments:
4.jpg
4.jpg [ 162.57 KiB | Viewed 5942 times ]
3.jpg
3.jpg [ 165.67 KiB | Viewed 5942 times ]
2.jpg
2.jpg [ 163.95 KiB | Viewed 5942 times ]

Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:09 am

more

Attachments:
5.jpg
5.jpg [ 109.75 KiB | Viewed 5942 times ]
Untitled 1.jpg
Untitled 1.jpg [ 226.99 KiB | Viewed 5942 times ]

Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:13 am

This is a response that I received from EJ today (I think this also applies to the examples you posted):

None of that has anything to do with being sluggish at all. Those are different game mechanics in 2.0 that should not be expected to work the same as 1.0. All of that is intended. I am not very strict when it comes to attack and transporting around objects in 1.0

This was my original email to him about the game feeling sluggish:

So I tried playing Xen2.0 for a few hours. The movements have been much improved but the game for me
still feels a bit sluggish due to a few reasons:

1) There are restrictions on your movements/transing into areas behind columns and walls that you could
normally trans past in Xen1.0. When hunting in graveyard dungeon, I miss a good portion of my transes,
especially when there is something like a pole or a light post in the way. This is not an issue in Xen1.0.
Also, transing into the smaller rooms when you are at an angle is very difficult as the bit of wall that
forms the entrances to the smaller rooms block you from doing so.

2) Monsters get stuck in walls a lot (probably due to different collision detection system). In Xen1.0,
the monsters can walk around walls until they get to you, in 2.0, they stick to walls and then do not
move.

3) Casting spells such as mutli spells or spin does do damage to monsters around poles/columns or when
monsters are in door arches (such as in the smaller rooms in graveyard dungeon). This is annoying as
they are still doing damage to you, but you cannot kill them with your multi spell until you move around
the pole or around a corner. Once again - not an issue with 1.0

Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:43 pm

Ya I figured on some things like that. With 2.0 being a different engine, there MIGHT be some things that apply that don't on 1.0. Line of sight could be one for example. However, im sure SOME areas it doesn't make sense as to why the transport doesn't work.

We can just keep working and reporting it to him. That way we can smooth out 2.0 some more.

phpBB [video]

Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:59 pm

Update with EJs response.

I sent EJ a reply:

I am not trying to argue but help. All I can say is as a player testing Xen2.0 out that when I am trying to trans into a room through the opening in the wall, and it takes me 4-5 clicks to find a spot to actually trans on, it's very frustrating and feels "sluggish". Whether you intended this to happen, sure it's up to you. I am just giving you feedback of my experience. And to me, that experience feels very "sluggish".

On the other hand, comparing it to Xen1.0 there is no issue like this. This is what me (and others) are pointing towards when we say Xen2.0 feels more "sluggish" compared to Xen1.0.

EJ's reply to this is:

That is fine, but nobody ever said they could not transport to destinations as easily, that is a completely different thing. Saying it is sluggish sounds like a frame rate problem or lag.

I told him to take a look at this tread with other people having the same issue. It looks like he thinks of low framerate or lag when we say sluggish or clunky.

Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:16 pm

Ligorath wrote:
It looks like he thinks of low framerate or lag when we say sluggish or clunky.

no one explain to him what the sluggish or clunky feeling was untill now. (that's why I posted tho's pic trying to explain it)

i just get the feeling now from emails its that's we cant move as free as xen1, some zones ingame that wont let you trans into a room must walk over the doorway b4 you can trans around in that room..

Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:54 am

I know what y'all are talking about, I can't attack run in quite a few places I feel like I should (I'll try to create a video soon). I dont trans as much but there are a few examples Im sure I could place as well. I love 2.0 tho, I couldn't play it up until this recent update.

Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:33 am
Site Admin

I'm not sure why you can't trans into the water, I will have to look into that. The spawn rate problem will also need to be looked into.

But you can't trans over the bridge because the bridge is in the way, same thing with the stairs, you can't trans through objects. That is not a bug, it is just logical.

The boss can't see you on the other side of a pillar, that is called hiding.

So some of these things are different because Xen 1.0 I gave you a lot more freedom mainly because the collision detection system didn't allow for those types of linear site tests where 2.0 is better and does.

It could be changed in some ways, but I do prefer the more logical system.

Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:28 am

ejthayer wrote:
That is not a bug, it is just logical.

What exactly is logical about it? It's a transportation spell from one place to another, to a player it is less logical that you can not transport through objects, as people don't see it as a spell that moves you through things, but rather from one spot directly to another, you shouldn't have to go "through" anything from a player perspective.

It's also not clearly stated by for example different type of tiles, or the mouse cursor icon changing letting you know it is possible, what you can actually transport to. If you were to keep the current system, I would think that is a better solution, as right now it's just a trial and error process clicking around which makes it feel "sluggish".

Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next