View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Bank 

Why are the Bank storage not shared by all characters on your account it's crazy to me not to have them linked together it makes it much easier even of it is a token option you can buy I just don't see any downside to this

Sun May 16, 2021 10:08 pm
Site Admin

Why would that seem crazy? I have not heard of any other game doing that. but then I have not played them all either.

I have considered that kind of thing and might do it though.

Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:53 pm

Many games do it loads of different ways. Some have personal storage and a seperate account storage, some have guild banks, and old school games just utilize mule characters to hold onto everything.

For ages in Xenimus people have been using mule accounts to hold onto rare items or hold items in masse. Making 10 accounts to populate a guild just to have the guild bank, for example, is widely done to get around the small personal bank storage (and to play the wealth system). It's my understanding that 2.0 drops far more consumables than Prime and . Just seeing SMBU's storage on a single character was pretty crazy to see how many rare potions and such he had.

You may consider increasing stack sizes or inventory slots to accommodate hoarding items, or changing the design of the game so that people don't end up hoarding loads of items by adding item sinks besides just consuming them. You can only consume so many buff potions in a certain amount of time, ya know. At a certain point you gain them faster than you can use them or content where you would be realistically be using them is not worth the time/effort to do, or players may not be online to get together to go chug potions at a boss or whatever.

Some sandbox MMO games like "New World" and "Albion Online" have supply quests where you can turn in a quantity of an item for XP, gold, reputation, or whatever. I could see a few ways that Xenimus (Prime or 2.0) could benefit from a task similar to this. The reward you get in exchange isn't always the point, it can serve as an alternative to organic player trade when maybe the player population isn't available to sustain organic trading/exhausting of consumable items.

Food for thought, I like talking game design.

Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:05 pm

Many games do that and many games don't.

If Xenimus were to add a shared bank then the NDNT items would have to be bound to each character it is acquired on.

NDNT means you cannot TRADE it to other characters on your account either.

Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:22 pm

I'd be for that. You can't put NDNT items in a guild bank so there's no reason you'd be able to do so for an account bank.

Another thing EJ could consider is location based storage, where the stash is tied to the town and not to the character. This would increase the amount of storage each character has, and make it so evil players only have access to the PK town storage if they lose alignment.

There's some mild annoyance of not having everything in one spot but it could get people to travel around a bit more. If GvE ever gets enabled again then and the ports get moved from Oreseth, it could be a cool fantasy thing to add in.

Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:48 pm
Site Admin

A special account bank would not be needed, NDNT gear would just not transfer from one char to another. So there would be a new option to trade with one of your own chars storage, choose the char, and do what you want.

Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:31 am

As for trading with your own characters is concerned, is there a way to allow items to be sent via the mailbox?

That would be a way to send items between your own characters and other players without being right next to eachother and spamming "trade" and presumably have a bunch of other practical benefits in addition to utilizing the mailboxes that have been added to the game.

This of course doesn't address the fact that the majority of players will have a single character per account since accounts are free and do not require registration, so the player workaround to this is to just alt-tab to your other account that's logged on to trade yourself. There's no real benefit to having more than one character to an account these days besides to have the guild bank.

Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:46 am

[quote="ejthayer"]Why would that seem crazy? I have not heard of any other game doing that. but then I have not played them all either.

I have considered that kind of thing and might do it though.[/quote]

Doesn't Path of Exile do it this way? One storage for all your characters on the league?

Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:33 pm

Kvothe wrote:
ejthayer wrote:
Why would that seem crazy? I have not heard of any other game doing that. but then I have not played them all either.

I have considered that kind of thing and might do it though.

Doesn't Path of Exile do it this way? One storage for all your characters on the league?

Reviving a post almost a year old for something he already implemented.

Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]