View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Weekend Events 

Will we be having a weekend event with X1 as well? I think I've only seen one event here in the past 6 months.

Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:02 pm

Good question. What kind of event would we want here, though.

Based on the recently active population, double XP events would probably be preferred since it's been lower level players trying to progress. As a whole, the game can always use more active, high level players in order to unlock some late game features like killing bosses on a regular basis.

With regard to enticing some higher level folks to come back and play for a weekend, I'm not sure I can think of a weekend event for X2 here that would do it. I'm not sure anything affecting drop rate or gear would do it as I think most high levels I know are already wearing some of the best gear we know is available through traditional hunting in the game. We don't have runes here yet so that method of enhancing our existing gear isn't available.

Tangent: A general issue with retention of high level players is the lack of sufficient hunting areas. When folks log in and see the few areas already being hunted, they simply log off. After a few times of doing this, they become disinterested and move back to X1 (with more adequate hunting areas) or other games altogether.

For higher levels, maybe a temporary reduction in boss strength for a weekend might bring some people back if we were able to get into the habit of killing them. Something like that could backfire, though, and frustrate people when they return to full strength and require more people to kill than we can realistically get online at any given time.

Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:59 pm

Posted on X1 I feel like X2 is just pushed to the side. I enjoy the X2 server and my friends on it. Just hate being neglected.

Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:06 am

The fact you say "posted on X1" suggests that people consider the "All Servers" forum as such. I do feel like people use that as the "X1 forum". Can we rename that forum to "Xenimus 1.0" and also get a new "All Servers" forum that way we can alleviate confusion? Things posted to the "All Servers" forum could then be expected to apply to both environments.

We know he's been doing great stuff for X2 lately but one could argue that these particular "bug fix" updates are long overdue. That work shouldn't be considered a reward synonymous with a weekend event so I understand where you're coming from there.

Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:06 am

Your legit playing a beta or alpha test version of 2.0. You get what you play for

Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:22 am

You aren't providing any value to this thread. Your opinion, I guess, but that doesn't really amount to much. I would say that the website does market "Xenimus 2.0 is here!" not "Xenimus 2.0 Alpha/Beta is here!" so I think the game is a little more advanced than you would suggest especially considering the fact we do have a fair amount of level 70s. Thanks for weighing in, though.

Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:38 am
once the game does come out of Beta I am expecting a reset and fresh start for everyone.

Now what keeps level 70s active on X1? Its the pvp competition. People raid, geear up to gain a pcp edge. If pvp isnt focussed on on x2 then the game might as well have "congrats on completing the game" message once you hit 70!

Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:49 pm

I'll try and speak to a few things here. I've noticed a handful of these types of comments on the forums lately.

The 2.0 client wont "come out of alpha/beta" and EJ has clarified as recently as November that he has no plans to wipe 2.0 (viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10657&p=102896#p102896) unless Steam has a specific policy requiring it. I've researched the Steam part a little bit and found no indication that this would be a Steam requirement.

If the folks that are insinuating that the client needs to be wiped actually attempted to play it, they would quickly realize that it is unnecessary. Gear isn't artificially locked but a lot of the higher level players are wearing the same gear. The maximum ilvl range of "end game" gear here is i70-i78 simply because there are limited hunting areas and the highest monster levels in these areas tend to be in the 77/78 range. We just don't have enough high level players to kill bosses or farm DD regularly (to acquire the absolute highest level gear). Most higher level mages are wearing gray shrouds and diabolic staves/dragon eye staves whereas most melees are wearing dirus/diabolic weapons and demo chain/diabolic plates.

While the client has been out for a few years, folks beginning to start playing the game today can catch up to the majority of end game players in 6-8 weeks of dedicated game play. In fact, there is one very popular high level hunting area that most classes can begin hunting around level 60 that has the ability to drop just about every single high-level item listed above. Catching up to the current player base gear wise is not an issue. As for rate of leveling, this client does progress slower than x1 through and through. It doesn't make it any less fun of a game you just can't really put your gauge for happiness entirely into the xp/hour basket or you will be disappointed (especially for those coming from x1.0).

The same things that keep people engaged and active on x1.0 apply here, we just don't have a large enough population for it. The current player base tends to be very casual so that's why there is hardly any pvp. That doesn't mean pvp can't kick off at any time (especially with an influx of 1.0 players). Bosses exist here but they are too strong for the low population of high level players to kill consistently. Again, this late game feature exists we just need more regular players to dps them down.

I think the biggest reason why x2.0 hasn't really taken off is the fact that EJ has stated that he plans to move x1.0 players to a new x2.0 server at some point when he's built it out enough (viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5535#p59780). Taken at face value, there's no real incentive for x1.0 players to naturally move to this 2.0 server. They may as well continue progressing the characters they have already invested many years into with the expectation they'll get moved to a 2.0 server later. I would add that there is a steady stream of absolutely new players to Xenimus (finding the game organically) that tend to start out on the 2.0 client.

Many players tend to forget that maintaining Xenimus is simply a hobby and side project for EJ. It's not his full time job and he doesn't owe us anything. People who are complaining about 2.0 with the comments like "Nobody from x1.0 even asked for it!" or "He just needs to kill it off and focus on fixing x1.0 issues" are disconnected from this reality. EJ created 2.0 as an eventual successor to x1.0 because it's newer technology and probably provides renewed interest for him. He's mentioned before that he's limited in the changes he can make to the x1.0 client based on the older technology it's built upon. X2.0 provides him a means to expand the game (via new content and new features) at an exponentially faster rate than he ever could on x1.0. This should be viewed as a good thing!

EJ's going to do what he wants to do and we aren't really going to do or say anything to affect that. I think a lot of x1.0 folks don't really want to lose years of progression on their current accounts and that's understandable. I personally think that x2.0 is the future one way or the other and that's why I've been focused on playing it.

Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]